Where all journeys begin!
The orphanage, also known as the Gein foundation, is represented by "<=" on your map in Freedom City. It is the zone where all brand new characters first spawn, and where some players spend a lot of the early game. The foundation is worth exploring; it's hiding some interesting secrets, as well as a few fun easter eggs.
- Many orphans spawn here. They give only 8 XP, but even the weakest players can kill them. There are also "bully" orphans, slightly tougher orphans that carry weapons. All orphans will usually get scared when another orphan is killed on their tile, which will cause them to flee.
- Some orphans are rabid; their descriptions will indicate them as "frothing at the mouth". For each rabid orphan killed, Sister Agnes will pay a princely $50. To collect payment, try . She stops paying when players get stronger.
- Sister Agnes is on the upper floor, to the west. She can heal the player with
. This heals about 15 health and cleanses other problems like black lung, though it does have a . Sister Agnes will not heal players who do not have a N-tag (under 25,000 total XP).
- If Sister Agnes is killed, her habit counts as a trophy.
- Alvin wanders around this zone. He will reset the furnace's thermostat whenever he passes it, should anyone alter its setting. He is almost permanently horny and allows sex, making him useful for newbies who want to control their horny status. Alvin will also attack any player with the Ripper mutation, and he's much stronger than any of the other orphanage mobs.
- Orphans drop stuff all around the zone, both on their own and when killed. Much of it is junk, but combing through here can sometimes reveal useful drops lying around.
- The orphanage is organized into three floors. On the ground floor:
- The lobby tile of the orphanage has a box of flyers. These are used by orphan players who have lost their original flyer; they can get a new one from here and museum. the flyer to get to the
- The dining hall has a sexual predation panic button easter egg.
- The Study Hall has a chalkboard for industrious noobs to draw dicks on.
- The kitchen contains a set of cabinets which holds kitchen utensils which serve as extremely low-level weapons. There is also a sink here, which produces clean water for drinking.
- On the upper floor:
- There is a shower to the far east, which is safe to drink from, destresses passively, and can be used to .
- The Teevee room is missing something. Maybe you can help.
- A scarenoob stands outside Sister Agnes' office, which can be adorned with any clothing. Its presence is an easter egg (scarenoob being a play on scarecrow).
- In the attic, the Orphanage christmas tree stands ready to be decorated with festive ornaments.
- On the lower floor (which also contains the Cramped Tunnel):
- There is a large furnace here, which may be worth investigating! The thermostat to the south is linked to the furnace.
- Next to the furnace, there is a donation bin which contains basic clothing, and a furnace exhaust pipe easter egg.
The Cramped Tunnel is a special one-tile area within the orphanage in which new players will spawn as orphans. New players cannot leave the tile without first setting aand ; setting a new is also a good idea. There are many tutorials and pointers here to help hopelessly confused players, so don't panic! There's also a toy box here, which spawns stuffed-toy versions of various in-game mobs and admins. Try ripping them open for a fun, child-appropriate surprise.