Solar Sponge is a soak mutation which gives resistance against burn, radiation, and laser damage. It also lets you heal when you're hot (healing is determined on temperature), and gives a maximum bonus of +2 to Brawn/Brains while in the sun.
Solar Sponge can be found at ground zero, in the Wasteland. Follow the explosion marks until you find the big crater in the middle. The area is highly irradiated; bring protection!
This mutation grants:
+1-3 burning resistance +2-2 irradiation resistance +2-3 laser resistance Healing effect when hot +2 to Brawn/Brains when in the sun Drastically reduced chance to acquire a Mental illness when using Carrie
- 6-11 burn soak in total. You'll outright ignore many sources of fire damage with this.
- 3-6 irradiation soak is sometimes useful against things like treemen and giant ants, and dampens/nullifies the secondary damage types of several PvP weapons.
- 2-3 laser is an obscure damage type, but when it does show up it's quite hard to soak.
- You heal every heartbeat when you're hot. This can reach +6 health or more per heartbeat if it's really warm, which is on par with a trauma kit.
- +1-2 brawn and brains when the sun happens to be shining.
- No damage from being on fire.
- Reduced chance to contract a mental when using Carrie.
- Synergy with Plant Whisperer; if you have both, your hunger/thirst will passively reduce in the sun/rain respectively. This is super minor and mostly a flavor thing.
- While you are immune to damage from being on fire, you are not immune to the debuffs of being on fire.
- Being too hot will also still debuff you. If you get extremely hot, you may even be damaged through your fire soaks.
- Because heat debuffs you so much, you usually still have to use gear to keep cool; the only added utility is in the extra heal.
- Firewalker alone is enough to dampen most fire damage sources. You can also slap on leech for 8-20 (or 16-40), so the extra soak here is often superfluous.
- Irrad and laser soaks are somewhat niche, so you often won't get consistent value from them.
- +2 brain/brawns when the sun is out is too inconsistent to ever rely on. Sometimes you're indoors, and sometimes the weather just sucks.
- Incompatible with Vampire.
- If you want to heat up quickly in a hot area to activate your heal, spam wearing and removing any piece of clothing repeatedly. Every time you wear or remove something, the game re-evaluates your body temperature, forcing your character's internal "thermostat" to quickly adjust to the new area temperature rather than waiting for heartbeats to do it.
His/Hers/Its glowing skin has a bleached-white look to it.